Thursday, May 28, 2009

Memories of Maui

I came across one of my first updates when we relocated to Maui for the year. All I can say is I love Maui and I can't wait to get back there. I have included it in this post for old times sake.

I am writing this at 5am our time because I can't stop obsessing.

We have had some issues with our house since we moved in that we have been trying to address with the owner which has been interesting. The man sells time shares for a living and has the personality of a used cars salesman. Clearly he didn't know what he was getting himself into when he decided to rent to us and is probably hoping right now that we will somehow magically begin to acquiesce to him or move back to Canada.

Anyway, one of the issues we raised was the fact that we were under the impression that we had a small rodent living in our master bathroom. Gordon just pointed this out yesterday in hopes of keeping me from freaking out, good move on his part. There were some weird droppings on the floor near our toilet which was the initial clue. Something else that was weird- at night we would be awakened by a strange and loud sound like the sound you might hear from a wood pecker pecking at wood. We would literally be jolted awake thinking the wood pecker was in our room because the sound was so loud and clear. I being a light sleeper am alert enough in the middle of the night to recognize that this sound is not normal or ok. Gordon on the other hand would have gladly assumed he was sleeping in a forest and continued to happily enjoy the sounds and the sights of his friend Woody the wood pecker if it weren't for my convincing act of hysteria. 

But today after some further investigating, we have discovered who/what has taken up joint residency in our bathroom/bedroom. At this time we believe our fellow room mate to be a gecko. They leave droppings, they eat bugs (hence the dead beetles around the house and not cookarachas as I had been calling them) and they make a weird wood pecker like sounds at night because they are reaching out and communicating to their fellow geckos (ah isn't that cute) . Now some people would feel better, the mystery has been solved and it's not a mouse or a rat but a harmless gecko right? Wrong. I don't want to share my bed/bedroom/bathroom with a lizard. I wouldn't let Molly get a pet lizard that lived in a terrarium let alone set the pet lizard free to live in my personal space. However, at this point unless someone out in cyberspace has any better ideas; I am slowly starting to face the fact that I think this is going to have to be one of those learning opportunities for me. I guess this is the part where I am going to have to accept (like it or not) the fact that I am snuckered and I am therefore going to have to be ONE with nature and nature is going to be my friend.The less popular yet more emotionally appealing option for me would be to fight this and somehow evict this damn gecko but I realize that I would be fighting the forces of nature and I am unlikely to win (unless someone knows something I don't and if so please share!!!). 

Later, 
Aloha from the rock.
Rashell

No comments:

Post a Comment